Today I want to talk about the importance of water! Water is so important for good health. If there was just one thing I could tell someone to improve there health it would be to drink more water! Why? Well because water is the single most important nutrient for our bodies. Water is involved in every function of our bodies! Did you know that you can only go about 5 days without water. It is that important! Here are some really cool facts about water that you should know:
1. Your body is about 70% water!
2. Your muscles are about 75% water!
3. Your brain cells are about 85% water!
4. Your bones are approximately 25% water!
You're probably saying to yourself, "Wow that is amazing!" and "Geez I didn't realize water was so crucial and important for me!"
I always am in shock when I see people drinking soda, energy drinks, juice, and other things when the very best liquid to drink is just plain old water! The fact is the average person just doesn't drink that much water. A lot of people don't like the taste of water. Some people never were taught or realized the importance of water. So many health problems that people have today like skin problems, headaches, depression, heart burn, arthritis, back pain, digestion problems, and on and on are most likely dehydrated! Water could be said to be a miracle cure and that is because it really is! Back in our ancestors days people would actually dig into the ground looking for water and if they found water they would name the well after there name and defend it with there very lives. That is how important water was for them to survive.
Here is some more facts about water that you may find really amazing!
A recognized physician, F. Batmanghelidj, MD, in his book titled Water for Health, For Healing, for Life, points out some of the benefits of maintaining your body properly hydrated:
1. Water is the main lubricant in the joint spaces and helps prevent arthritis and joint pain.
2. Water increases the efficiency of the immune system.
3. Water prevents clogging of the arteries in the heart and brain, and thus helps reduce the risk of heart attack and stroke.
4. Water is directly connected to brain function --it is needed for the efficient manufacture of neurotransmitters, including serotonin; it is needed for the production of hormones made by the brain, such as melatonin; it can prevent attention deficit disorder (ADD); and it improves our attention span!
5. Water helps prevent memory loss as we age, reducing the risk of degenerative diseases such as Alzheimer's disease, multiple sclerosis, Parkinson's disease, and Lou Gehrig's disease.
6. Water affects our appearance, making our skin smoother and giving it sparkling luster; it also reduces the effects of aging!
Some other things to realize and understand is that if your body doesn't get enough water everyday then whatever what your body get it goes to directly to the most important parts of your body which are your vital organs like the Brain, Heart, Lungs, Liver, and Kidneys first. That means that the other parts of your body (nonvital organs) may suffer such as the skin (acne and skin problems), gastrointestinal tract (GI), and joints! Usually you will see symptoms develop first in those parts of the body! This is why it is absolutely crucial to drink enough water everyday.
Now I want to talk about using water to keep you looking young for a really long time. Here are some facts about your skin.
1. Your skin is the largest organ of the body and weighs about sic pounds!
2. Your skin grows faster than any other organ.
3. Your skin is tough, flexible, and waterproof.
4. Your skin stores water, fat, and vitamin D.
5. Your skin protects the body from germs, heat, cold, and sunlight!
6. Your skin is replaced approximately every thirty days. This means that if you eat healthier the quality of your skin being replaced will be much healthier than it was 30 days ago! The question then becomes how much healthier will it be? It is up to you how healthy you wish your skin is to a large degree.
Water really is the best thing for your skin. No pill, cream, lotion, vitamin, or anything can give you healthy and vibrant looking skin like water can! In fact water keeps your skin supple, your eyes bright, and your body spry.
What happens when you remove water from plums? You get prunes!
What happens when you remove water from your skin? You get wrinkles!
When you get dehydrated your skin suffers. It can become dry, flaky, and wrinkled faster! Water therefore is very important for skin health. Babies have very nice skin because there body is so full of water and because there organs are basically brand new and haven't been bombarded year after year with toxins and an unhealthy lifestyle. That is just an easy observation anyone can notice.
Do you want to grow new brain cells? There is a lot of research showing that by drinking more water you can actually grow new brain cells. The human brain is roughly one-fiftieth of the total body weight, and brain cells are said to be approximately 85% water. The brain is also constantly active and so therefore you defiantly want to give it water. Your brain loves water!! Stop depriving it!!!
Of course there is so many other benefits of drinking water and it would take a huge endless book to cover it all, but I just wanted to give you the basic information of why water is so darn important!
As important as it is though to drink water we also have to consider the quality of water. Drinking from the tap is not a smart thing to do as it is loaded with chlorine (toxix poison), flouride (poison), drugs, and so many other dangerous things. Not to mention it taste awfully disgusting compared to clean purified and filtered water. So what is a person to do? Well the simplest and cheapest way I have found to have clean and healthy drinking water is to buy a Aquasana water filter. It is one of the best filters out there and it does a really impressive job at filtering your water. Go to these links and videos to learn more!!! These are videos of Mike Adams aka The Health Ranger interviewing Charles Strand, the founder and President of Aquasana!
Go check out aquasana at: http://www.aquasana.com/
I personally have the kitchen sink filter and the shower filter. Once you take a shower with the aquasana shower filter it will leave your skin so soft and healthy. Why? Because the filter removes the chlorine which dries out your skin.
Did you know that Chlorine is actually an Anti-Vitamin? Yes that's right folks its a anti vitamin! Chlorinated water can destroy nutrients your body needs: Vitamins A, B, C, and E, and fatty acids. Chronic skin conditions like acne, psoriasis, and eczema may clear up or improve by simply switching to unchlorinated drinking and shower water!
So now that we know the importance of drinking water and having good quality water lets talk about how much water you should actually drink. Basically the rule of thumb is that you want to drink half your body weight in water. So all you have to do is weigh yourself and divide that number by 2. So if you weigh 150lbs you divide that by 2 and you get 75. So you should drink 75ounces of water a day. There is 8ounces of water in 1 cup. So that comes out to be about 9 cups of water a day. This is fairly easy to drink and if your consuming a lot of fruits and vegetables like I always talk about then you will also get even more hydrated with the added benefit of all the nutrients.
So start drinking your water today! Your body wants it!!!
Please make sure to like, favorite, and subscribe! Thanks so much! :-)
Thanks for reading and I hope to see you again in the next blog post. :)